Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Starting a Blog and a Corp


When I browse the internet, it's to get information, and get it quickly.  Unless it's poetry, I don't like writers who beat around the bush.  I like to get to the point.

So here's the point:

This blog is about the MMO "EVE Online."  Specifically, about managing player corporations.

Odds are if you're still reading this, you're already somewhat familiar with the game.  So, I won't explain any more about it.

I started playing EVE a few months ago, and now I'm kinda addicted.  A few weeks into the game, I started my own corporation with dreams of galactic conquest.  We did pretty well, but as finals neared at my university, I had to relenquish command to our directors. 

To my knowledge they are still flying.  I left them in the hands of capable leaders, and am confident that they will be around for awhile.

I'm not able to invest the time to manage them anymore, but my obsession with the game won't let me quit playing, either.  Therefore, I've decided to start this blog to feed my EVE monkey while I passively play and actively study.

The intent of this blog is to teach new CEOs not only how to manage a corp, but also how to make a corp succeed. 

So here's the experiment.  I'm going to start from the ground up, with a trial account toon that I will later upgrade to a subscription, and walk you through the process of preparing, starting, and then running a corporation: reporting my progress along the way.  I might even thow out trite "tips of the day."

For now, I plan on building a simple mining corp. My objectives are to get as far as I can to a Retriever on my trial account (trials cannot train mining barges), and raise some captial before I even start the corp.

There are several reasons for not starting a corp the moment you create a new toon.  I'll outline them in my next post.  Rest assured that, even experienced players, will tell you that building your SP and assets before you start a corp is generally a good idea.

I believe that will do for the introduction.  The next post will go into more detail about the ways corporations can benefit players and my plans for how this corp will operate.  Even though corps are everywhere in EVE, most new players don't understand how a corp can help them, and most new CEOs don't know how to build a corporate structure that will help its members.

No comments:

Post a Comment